Supporting Wound Healing (Before &) After Surgery
A friend recently asked for my recommendations for wound healing and scar preventions Here are some simple recommendations for him and for you.
One week prior and four weeks after surgery:
- Eat plenty of healthy foods including vegetables, fruits, and healthy sources of protein fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids like Alaskan salmon, herring, cod, mackerel, and sardines are best.
- Take a high-dose and high-potency multivitamin to ensure optimal nutrient status
- Vitamin C and bioflavonoids (approximately 2,000 IU of vitamin C and 750mg of bioflavonoids per day including the amount from the multivitamin). Remember that many fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamin C and bioflavonoids.
- Zinc Citrate (approximately 60mg of zinc per day including the amount from the multivitamin) Take zinc containing supplements with food – otherwise you’ll get very nauseous! Make sure your multivitamin contains copper to prevent zinc related copper deficiency.
- Vitamin A (approximately 30,000 IU per day including the amount from the multivitamin): Vitamin A is important for the regeneration and production of healthy skin./li>
- Make sure your vitamin D status is healthy – supplement with 3000 to 4000 IU per day (including multivitamin dosage). To keep cost down, use a higher dose capsule every other day.
Only several weeks after surgery:
Bromelain: 750 to 1500mg per day preferably taken 45 minutes away from meals. Bromelain is a proteolytic enzyme that has been shown to improve wound healing and traumas.
Apply a salve with calendula and comfrey – my favorite is from Wise Woman Herbals. I don’t sell it on my site, but you can find it through Google.